A SPIRITUAL THOUGHT ON GAMBLING
The Bible does not speak directly on gambling as a sin against God or our fellow human beings. However, it does speak on subjects that we can relate to gambling. Going through both Old and New Testaments, here are interesting scriptures for a Christian to consider:
- Colossians 3: 23-24 – Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.
- Hebrews 13:5 – Keep your life free from Love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.”
- Proverbs 13:11 – Money gained in the wrong way disappears. But money gathered little by little grows.
Gambling is also an addictive venture, and this reminds one of 1Timothy 6:10 that says, “Love for money causes all kinds of evil. Some people want to get rich. They have wandered away from the faith. They have wounded themselves with many sorrows.” And even with all its corrupt and distasteful practices, society, in general, also frowns on gambling; this gives the impression that we all have the innate instinct to see gambling as an immoral venture.
A Christian is to live beyond reproach, as a testimony of God’s presence in their life. Therefore, we should avoid any act of gambling, be it as a hobby or as a source of income. The risks it brings are far more detrimental than the short term pleasure it promises.
Leviticus 16:8 – Aaron shall cast lots for the two goats: one lot for Yahweh, and the other lot for the scapegoat.
Joshua 18:6 – You shall survey the land into seven parts, and bring the description here to me; and I will cast lots for you here before Yahweh our God.
Joshua 18:8The men arose and went. Joshua commanded those who went to survey the land, saying, “Go walk through the land, survey it, and come again to me. I will cast lots for you here before Yahweh in Shiloh.”
- Joshua 18:10Joshua cast lots for them in Shiloh before Yahweh. There Joshua divided the land to the children of Israel according to their divisions.
- 1 Samuel 14:42Saul said, “Cast lots between me and Jonathan my son.” Jonathan was selected.
- 1 Chronicles 24:5Thus they were divided impartially by drawing lots; for there were princes of the sanctuary, and princes of God, both of the sons of Eleazar, and of the sons of Ithamar.
- 1 Chronicles 24:31These likewise cast lots even as their brothers the sons of Aaron in the presence of David the king, Zadok, Ahimelech, and the heads of the fathers’ households of the priests and of the Levites; the fathers’ households of the chief even as those of his younger brother.
- 1 Chronicles 25:8They cast lots for their offices, all alike, the small as well as the great, the teacher as well as the student.
- 1 Chronicles 26:13They cast lots, the small as well as the great, according to their fathers’ houses, for every gate.
- 1 Chronicles 26:14The lot eastward fell to Shelemiah. Then for Zechariah his son, a wise counselor, they cast lots; and his lot came out northward.
- Nehemiah 10:34We, the priests, the Levites, and the people, cast lots for the wood offering, to bring it into the house of our God, according to our fathers’ houses, at times appointed, year by year, to burn on Yahweh our God’s altar, as it is written in the law;
- Nehemiah 11:1The princes of the people lived in Jerusalem. The rest of the people also cast lots, to bring one of ten to dwell in Jerusalem the holy city, and nine parts in the other cities.
- Job 6:27Yes, you would even cast lots for the fatherless, and make merchandise of your friend.
- Psalm 22:18They divide my garments among them. They cast lots for my clothing.
- Joel 3:3and have cast lots for my people, and have given a boy for a prostitute, and sold a girl for wine, that they may drink.
- Obadiah 1:11In the day that you stood on the other side, in the day that strangers carried away his substance, and foreigners entered into his gates, and cast lots for Jerusalem, even you were like one of them.
- Jonah 1:7They all said to each other, “Come! Let’s cast lots, that we may know who is responsible for this evil that is on us.” So they cast lots, and the lot fell on Jonah.
- Nahum 3:10Yet was she carried away. She went into captivity. Her young children also were dashed in pieces at the head of all the streets, and they cast lots for her honorable men, and all her great men were bound in chains.
- Matthew 27:35When they had crucified him, they divided his clothing among them, casting lots,
- Mark 15:24Crucifying him, they parted his garments among them, casting lots on them, what each should take.
- Luke 23:34Jesus said, “Father, forgive them, for they don’t know what they are doing.” Dividing his garments among them, they cast lots.
- John 19:24Then they said to one another, “Let’s not tear it, but cast lots for it to decide whose it will be,” that the Scripture might be fulfilled, which says, “They parted my garments among them. For my cloak they cast lots.”Psalm 22:18 Therefore the soldiers did these things.
- Acts 1:26They drew lots for them, and the lot fell on Matthias, and he was counted with the eleven apostles.