Living A Healthy Lifestyle To Protect The Holy Temple: Your Body
Did you know that your body is a holy temple?
God dwells within our bodies through the Holy Spirit who helps us to grow as believers. If we all paused and contemplated on that for a moment, it may cause us to reevaluate how we treat our body.
God has specific expectations on how we should care for ourselves. By doing so, we glorify Him. Many of us are abusing our bodies without even realizing it.
Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own. 1 Corinthians 6:19
Maintaining our physical and mental health is important. The world today pushes the human body to its limits through eating poorly, working too much, and depriving ourselves things that are essential to being healthy.
When the physical part of us starts to wear down, it takes a toll us our spiritual and mental well-being.
Does your lifestyle look similar to this?
- Diet that is filled with preservatives, chemicals, fats, and sugar.
- In to work early, home from work late.
- Lack of a minimum of 8 hours of sleep each night.
- Little or no time to exercise.
- No rest on the Sabbath or working 6-7 days a week.
- Not eating three balanced meals a day.
- Health problems
- Depression, Anxiety
- High Blood Pressure
- Heart Problems
- Dependence on alcohol, medication, smoking
- Under a great deal of stress daily
God Wants You To…
The convenience of packaged, processed, and preserved foods allow us to eat on the run or to make a meal quickly. It’s all based around living life in a hurry.
Take time to enjoy good clean food that you have prepared yourself. Fast-food is not what God intended to nourish our bodies with.
In addition to eating the right kind of foods, we should eat the right portion and not overindulge in too much. God meant for us to eat to live, not live to eat.
To sustain a healthy body, our diet should consist of a balance of:
- Gives us energy
- Supports brain function
- Good Fat
- Supports brain and heart health
- Lowers risk of heart disease, diabetes, stroke
- Promotes good digestive health
- Lack of causes depression/anxiety, sleep problems
- Supports bone health
- Complex Carbs
- Provides energy
- Flushes waste and toxins from body
- Lack of causes fatigue, headache
Learn To Rest And Relax
- Observe The Sabbath
- God commands us in 4th of the Ten Commandments that we are to keep the Sabbath day holy. It is a gift from Him to us for a day of rest and reflection.
“Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy...you shall not do any work.” Exodus 20:8-11
- Take regular vacations and time away from work to not only be with your family but to allow your body and mind to rest.
- Get 8 hours of sleep each night. Sleep deprivation causes a host of problems such as heart attack, stroke, obesity, decline in cognitive function, and more.
Do Not Be Conformed To This World
Are you glorifying God with your body? Be on guard to prevent yourself from falling into the trap of worldly living that causes harm to your body or mind.
Protect what God has blessed you with.
There are things that defile what God has lovingly created.
- Illicit behavior
- Reading or watching things that are not Godly
- Dressing inappropriately
Get Your Body Moving And Exercise
Our bodies were not meant to be sedentary because it endangers our health (physically and mentally.)
It also causes us to fall short in glorifying God in doing the work He intended for us to do.
Being active promotes physical health and keeps our minds sharp.
On Loan And There’s Only One
Our bodies are a blessing that God has loaned to us for a short time. We don’t get a do-over with a newer model!